Unusually heavy or long-lasting menstrual periods, a condition known as menorrhagia, affects nearly 20 percent of women. If your periods regularly last longer than 7 days, or if you have to change pads or tampons every 1 to 2 hours, you may have menorrhagia.
Heavy period symptoms
Signs and symptoms of unusually heavy periods may include:
- Periods that last more than 7 days
- Heavy bleeding that soaks through one or more pads or tampons every hour
- The need to use both pads and tampons for more protection
- Heavy bleeding that includes large blood clots
- Heavy menstrual bleeding that interferes with your daily activities